About this Position
Though Africa is the world’s second-largest continent, critics rarely talk about its cinema—we want to change that.
We’re keen to make Cinema Escapist the go-to hub for all things to do with African Cinema, so joining us on the ground floor is an exciting opportunity to make that a reality!
To do that, we’re hiring multiple Africa Staff Writers.
As a Africa Staff Writer, you’ll work with Oscar Harding, our Africa & Diaspora Editor. Oscar will help refine, edit, and format any ideas/articles you submit in accordance with our editorial guidelines. You may even be assigned the occasional article, but this is not compulsory.
What we’re looking for:
- We ideally want writers who are actually based on the African continent or members of an African diaspora group. However, that’s not a hard requirement.
- If you’re fluent or proficient in any non-English language, that’s a bonus but not mandatory.
- If you specialize in a certain type of content, like interviews or analysis, then let us know. We need your expertise on African politics, history, and culture–we’re keen to make your voice heard.
- We ask each successful applicant to contribute at least one article per month.
How to Apply
Email us at join [at] cinemaescapist.com with the subject line “Application: Africa Staff Writer”.
In your email, please include…
- A short description of your experience, what you’re interested in writing about, and why.
- Any links to your previous written work (this is optional but preferred).
- What languages you speak and which country you are based in.
It’s that simple! The more detail you can provide about the kind of contribution you can make, the better.
We look forward to hearing from you!
About Cinema Escapist
Cinema Escapist is a fast-growing web publication aiming to “explore and connect the world through a cinematic lens”.
We review & analyze foreign films/TV with a unique bent. While normal critics ask “why is this movie good or bad”, we go beyond that and ask “why does this movie matter?”
This distinct focus has allowed us do things like…
- Interview filmmakers/actors from 15+ countries including Syria and Ukraine
- Get advance movie/TV screeners from partners like HBO.
- Provide updates from events like the Berlin International Film Festival.
Want to be a part of our mission? Join us today!