About this Position
Ideally, we are looking for contributors based in Europe, but regardless of your location, we look forward to your application. Proficiency in a European language other than English is preferred, but not essential to apply.
Europe has many regions with cinematic traditions. We are looking for ways to offer readers—English-speaking readers—unique coverage of the continent, which is why we are keen to find sub-editors and contributors for Scandinavia, Italy, Southeast Europe, and other sub-regions. If you have an idea for an angle or beat you might have experience with, we’d like to know!
You would be working directly with Jake, our Europe Editor, who will consult with you regularly about content needs. As a sub-editor, you will be the expert on your domain, crafting coverage according to the history and audience of your particular region, by both writing and editing others’ writing. If this is exciting to you, give us a shout!
How to Apply
Interested? E-mail join [at] cinemaescapist.com. Use the subject line “Application: Europe Staff Writer” or “Application: Europe Sub-Editor” and include the following within your email:
- A brief self-introduction. Where are you based? What languages do you speak?
- If available, previous writing samples (can be attached as documents or linked).
- If available, a link to your LinkedIn profile. Just to help us ensure you’re a real person.
- A succinct proposal for what areas(s) you might want to focus on. Want to be our Sub-Editor for post-Soviet regions? Analyze depictions of “migration” Western European cinema? You can propose anything you want that relates to our mission of “explore and connect the world through a cinematic lens”; just explain the relation. We’re open to suggestions and want to give your creativity an audience!
About Cinema Escapist
Cinema Escapist is a fast-growing web publication aiming to “explore and connect the world through a cinematic lens”.
We review & analyze foreign films/TV with a unique bent. While normal critics ask “why is this movie good or bad”, we go beyond that and ask “why does this movie matter?”
This distinct focus has allowed us do things like…
- Interview filmmakers/actors from 15+ countries including Syria and Ukraine
- Get advance movie/TV screeners from partners like HBO.
- Provide updates from events like the Berlin International Film Festival.
Want to be a part of our mission? Join us today!