The second annual Asian Brilliant Stars film awards announced its winners in Berlin on Feb 21 2018, with Feng Xiaogang’s Youth taking the Special Jury Award and two other prizes. Four other awards went to filmmakers across not only China, but also other countries like Israel and Thailand.
Established in 2017, Asian Brilliant Stars is an awards program held on the margin of the Berlin International Film Festival, which runs concurrently in the German capital. The program aims to promote Asian films and talent on the international stage.
“The Big Three film festivals have selected many outstanding Asian films over the years. What the Asian Brilliant Stars adds is an Asian perspective to the film selection, and a stronger voice to Asian filmmakers,” said renowned Korean director Kim Ki-duk, who sat on the program’s jury this year—alongside other cinematic figures from Iran, Hong Kong, mainland China, Japan, and Germany.
Besides promoting Asian films and giving them a stronger voice on the festival circuit, this year’s Asian Brilliant Stars also provided a medium for networking and exchange.
“The Asian Brilliant Stars gives us Asian filmmakers the opportunity to know each other and exchange. I like Kim Ki Duk’s films very much but didn’t have the chance to meet with him until today. The Asian Brilliant Stars has opened a dialogue—this dialogue will continue in the future,” said Youth director Feng Xiaogang.
As Asian nations gain further economic and political clout in the world, cultural influence—soft power—logically follows. Perhaps Asian Brilliant Stars, with an increasingly pan-Asian focus compared to its previous iteration, is one pioneer on this front.
The full list of 2018 Asian Brilliant Stars Awards winners is as follows:
- Feng Xiaogang: Special Jury Award for Youth (China)
- Samuel Maoz: Best Director Award for Foxtrot (Israel)
- Chutimon Chuengcharoensukying: Best Actress Award for Bad Genius (Thailand)
- Chang Chen: Best Actor Award for Brotherhood of Blades II: The Infernal Battlefield (China)
- Yan Geling: Best Screenwriter Award for Youth (China)
- Zhang Yang: Best Producer Award for Paths of the Soul (China)
- Zhong Chuxi: Asian New Talent Award for Youth (China)